The Harris Fine Arts Center (HFAC) is located on the north end of Brigham Young University campus (map). It was established in 1965 and houses the School of Music, the Department of Theatre and Media Arts, Department of Art, Department of Design, the Dean’s office, Arts Production, as well as the CFAC Advisement Center. The HFAC has five theatres/performance spaces: de Jong Concert Hall, Madsen Recital Hall, Pardoe Drama Theatre, Margetts Theatre and the Nelke Theatre, two arts galleries: B. F. Larsen Gallery and B. F. Larsen Secured Gallery (F303), nine pipe organs and 281 spaces for offices classrooms, labs and other facilities. More than 300 annual performances and exhibits draw patrons to the center.
The Brimhall Building is located on the south end of campus (map) and houses the School of Communications offices, classrooms and news labs. The first floor of the building was constructed in 1918. In 1935, two more stories were added and the building was named to honor George H. Brimhall, BYU president from 1904 to 1921. Completely remodeled in 2004, the Brimhall building became home to the School of Communications.
The BYU Museum of Art is located on the north side of campus (map). It is a four-story, modern facility of more than 102,000 square feet in size. The museum houses ten exhibition galleries, an auditorium, classrooms, a small theater, a print study room, security and administrative offices and a gift store.
CARILLON BELL TOWER
The Carillon Bell Tower, located in the northeast corner of campus, is not accessible to the public but can be heard across campus every half hour. In 1975, Spencer W. Kimball dedicated the bells at the Founder’s Day Convocation. In addition to the 52 bells weighing a total of 26,695 pounds, the tower houses a practice room, a clavier room and a belfry. The bells are also played during concerts by university and visiting carillonneurs, and for each year’s commencement exercises.
Building B-66 is situated in the southeast corner of campus (map). Built in 1976 as the Design and Technology building, it originally housed one of the most sophisticated technology programs in the country with its advanced computer-aided design and manufacturing program–the first of its kind in the nation. With the later addition to campus of the Crabtree Technology Building, the building was renamed B-66 and now houses working areas for the Visual Arts Department, kilns for ceramics, classrooms, and wood shops. The Ceramics and Sculpture programs for the Department of Art are located here.
Built in 1985, and located in a north corner of campus, B-67 is utilized by the Department of Art. In the area are steel/metal presses used in the Graphics program. In addition, the west and south ends of the building house seven or eight printing presses, including inks, lead letters/fonts and other old style lettering and printing tools.